Friday 3 May 2013

Superstitions


I have a large number of pre-game superstitions, and I know in my head that it doesn’t matter what colour apple I eat for breakfast the morning before a game, but I just can’t help but have to stick to it each week. People I know think I am completely crazy for the things I do before a game, but all of these small things help to relax me and help me to prepare myself for the game. The role that superstitions play is up to the individual. Some people have none at all, and just do whatever they need to do before a game, others have a few to help them prepare, and then there are people like me that have all the stupid ones under the sun. As I spoke about in a previous week, some athletes require a routine to help them and relax into a game. I am one of those people. The first of my annoying pre-game rituals is that I need to have a red powerade the night before a game, and a blue powerade and a long black before the game. I feel as though I have to eat my cereal out of a Tupperware container, I can only eat a green apple the day of a game, and I like to have a fresh coat of paint on my nails the night before. If that wasn’t enough, I need to strap my own ankle, but get the trainer to strap my thumb, and I cannot put my socks and boots on before my strapping is completely finished. Oh, and I always put my left sock and boot on first. Crazy I know, but having routines like these help me to be able to mentally prepare myself long before I start preparing my body.

When you are coaching athletes that have habits like these, you do not need to encourage or discourage them. The athletes can decide this for themselves whether it is worthwhile continuing or not. The only time you should step in is if it becomes far too hard to manage. If the person cannot go to the same newsagency for their morning paper for example, and they begin to freak out, that is when you know it has gotten out of hand.

But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a red apple the night before a game ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment