Friday 12 April 2013

The Role of Music


For some athletes, music can play a massive part in optimal performance, but for others it can have no impact at all. I am one of those players that believe heavily in the use of it, and it can change my mood before or after a match. The first thing that music helps with for me is arousal levels before a game. As the inverted U model is heavily dependent on the individual, listening to music before a game can greatly help me to get into the optimal zone for performance. Others I know like to sit quietly before a game, and some just bounce around the walls of the change room.

I also find that music is a massive relaxation tool for me before a game. It helps me to settle my nerves and to get right into the zone before a game. Having a set playlist means that I have tailored my music to progress through the stages of my pre game routines. At the start of my playlist I have very energetic music that can get me up and going. After a while, the music gets slower and allows me to calm, slow my heart rate and to gather my thoughts about the game ahead. It then picks up the pace again and gets me fired up to go out there and do the best that I can.

Having music before a game, particularly a playlist or the same songs, means that you can get into a routine and this also acts as a calmative. The best way to introduce this in a team situation however, is through individual music players and headphones. As all players might not support the use of music, or the style of music, this is the most safe option.

Certain songs can also evoke certain memories. If you teach yourself to do something and link it to music, every time you hear that song, you will be reminded of what you have learnt. Music can also aid with forms of mental imagery, another technique becoming more and more popular for athletes. I have certain songs that whenever I hear them, regardless of where I am or what I am doing, I immediately think of football. There are even 3 certain songs that can make me nervous when I hear them just because they remind me of big games!

No comments:

Post a Comment