Friday 22 March 2013

Idols and Big Dreams


We all have idols in sport, but why is this the case and what influence do they have on us?

We must admire their onfield personas, as that is the main reason that they are playing the sport at a high level. What characteristics do they display for us to like them better than other players? It has to be different for each individual, and the team that you barrack for must have an influence also. For example, many Fremantle Dockers fans love Hayden Ballantyne, but those that support other teams hate him. The same can be said for St Kilda’s Stephen Milne. Those that don’t love him hate him! I happen to hate most of the Collingwood players, and I think most of the reason why is because they play for the pies!

But how much of an influence does a player’s off field antics have on us? A true AFL supporter should be able to able to separate onfield and off field characteristics. Brendan Fevola and Ben Cousins have both repeatedly done stupid thing off the AFL field, yet that shouldn’t detract from the fact that they were both amazing footballers with incredible talent! And one could only imagine what they would have been able to do if it wasn’t for the alcohol and drugs being involved. However, when someone is your idol, it is hard not to let their entire life become something that you want to replicate, being paid to play sport would be an amazing opportunity! You can also feel extremely disappointed in the player for being so stupid away from the sport!

On a personal level, do you relate to that player? Or do they have something that you want to learn or to become? My absolute hero is Nick Riewoldt from St Kilda, and I am not certain of why I began to idolise him, but looking back I would say that it is his ability to be an onfield and off field leader that makes him stand out. Yes, he is talented, but so are all AFL footballers, but he has this incredible talent to be able to lift himself and his team in big games. I don’t relate to him because of positions, as we play completely different roles, and I don’t think that realistically I would ever have to opportunity to do what he has done, but there are parts of his game that I admire, and that I want to be able to carry over into my game.

But hey, one can only dream!    ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment